Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] AFIO review postponed till Monday
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-22 16:35:27

Niall Douglas wrote:
> After having slept on it, I lied to you earlier. There is exactly one
> place I use an undocumented behaviour and it is here at
> [afio_iocp.ipp#L370] where I use NtQueryObject with the deprecated query
> ObjectNameInformation.

Separating the two:
1. Use of documented kernel APIs: I'm torn here; on one hand, I don't
condemn use of them and I would agree with Asbjørn that it isn't a show
stopper. Yet you have a case of an actual show-stopper (crash) in AFIO
because of the use of them.[1]
2. Use of undocumented or deprecated APIs: Kernel APIs or otherwise, even if
apparently innocuous, this practice is alarming to me. I would be surprised
if it doesn't taint the review of AFIO.

Niall Douglas wrote:
> I think this is the wrong question to ask. The right question to ask is:
> [snip]

So the wrong question to ask is, "Is it concerning that AFIO uses these APIs
given your use of them is unsupported?" and the right question to ask is "Is
it concerning that AFIO use these APIs given your use of them is unsupported
but the advantages are [...]?" ? :-)

Niall Douglas wrote:
> I would say all three of these yes.

Sounds like a good enough spot to put yourself out of your misery and take
this opportunity to escape the review queue that you've been in for so long.
I understand wanting to improve the library, but something tells me you
don't want to be in the queue for another two years constantly refactoring
AFIO. Just my two cents.

Best,
Glen

[1] https://github.com/BoostGSoC13/boost.afio/issues/79