Subject: Re: [boost] [build] Problems with VC14 and MSPDB140.DLL (was: [testing][teeks] MSVC-14 errors about MSPDB140.DLL)
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-26 16:35:36

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Hartmut Kaiser
> <hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> >> All tests for Boost.Log (and I suspect any other built libraries) on
> MSVC-
> >> 14
> >> are failing because of this error:
> >>
> >> LINK : fatal error LNK1101: incorrect MSPDB140.DLL version; recheck
> >> installation of this product
> >
> > My workaround was to edit the 'Path' env variable in one of the temp
> files
> > generated by bjam (b2_msvc_14.0_vcvarsall_amd64.cmd in your temp
> directory)
> > not to point to the x64 cross compiler, but to the native one. For me
> this
> > involved changing
> >
> > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\amd64_x86

> > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\amd64
>
> I encountered the same problem with VC14 RTM on my VM. This was a
> clean install of VC14 RTM, there were no CTPs or RCs installed on this
> machine. I removed the b2_msvc_14.0_vcvarsall*.cmd scripts and ran b2
> with address-model=64 to build my tests so that these scripts are
> re-created from scratch, so it looks like there is a problem with how
> these scripts are generated by b2.
>
> I found 3 instances of mspdb140.dll on my system in these locations:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\amd64
>
> The last two are for 32 and 64-bit native compilers. The first one, I
> assume, is for use by IDE. The problem is that the first path is
> listed in b2_msvc_14.0_vcvarsall_x86_amd64.cmd in the "SET Path=..."
> line prior to the compiler-specific paths. Removing it from the Path
> solved the problem.
>
> Could Boost.Build be adjusted so that the cmd files are generated
> correctly in the first place?

Yes! I've been struggling with this all weekend trying to figure out what
was going wrong. I've don multiple re-installs of my VM thinking that I
might have gotten something corrupted. Your results seem to match what I
was seeing exactly.

Tom