Subject: Re: [boost] [build] Problems with VC14 and MSPDB140.DLL (was: [testing][teeks] MSVC-14 errors about MSPDB140.DLL)
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-10 19:08:26

On 11/08/2015 06:35, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> I have tried to add this echo and indeed it outputs the broken Path
> already. Also, I tried to print %PATH% from the console (VS2015 x86
> x64 Cross Tools Command Prompt) and it also has the %DevEnvDir% path
> first there.
>
> I inspected the vcvarsx86_amd64.bat script which sets up the
> environment and I can see that in line 62 it indeed inserts
> %DevEnvDir% before the paths to the compilers, so we have our culprit.
> The question is what do we do about it?

One question is why Boost is trying to load the cross tools rather than
the native x64 compiler.

While it's not unheard of to want to build 64-bit code from a 32-bit
build machine, the vast majority of cases will be the reverse, so the
native compilers should be preferred unless explicitly requested otherwise.

(Recent stats say that 92% of new Windows machines are 64-bit; older
machines have a higher percentage of 32-bit but it's very likely that
developers, at least, will have 64-bit machines by now.)