Subject: [boost] AFIO on the Incubator (was: Re: [http] Boost.Http formal review is finished)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-19 05:49:48

On 17 Aug 2015 at 14:58, Robert Ramey wrote:

> > FYI I know of about seven people who have ever even tried AFIO in 30
> > months. It's too niche, though when you see my brand new workshop
> > tutorial with benchmarks on Friday I think that might radically
> > change :).
>
> Maybe a year ago I went though the documentation of AFIO and wrote a
> comment based on that experience. I've seen that the package has
> improved enormously since then. I like to think that my comment made a
> small difference. (Incidently, I removed my old comment because I didn't
> think it was relevant any more.)

Your comment made more than a small difference in fact. It made me
realise I'd need to implement a much more friendly user facing API.
You are the Boost.Serialisation guy after all, if you're not lighting
up with excitement then I'm doing something very wrong.

I still don't have iostream serialisation support in AFIO, nor do I
wish to add it (it's racy). However I have thrown serialisation folk
a bone by making the new workshop tutorial iostreams based, so I show
how to adapt AFIO to iostreams in a race free way.

> I think I'm starting to get an idea of
> what problem the thing is supposed to address.

I'm hoping by the end of the new tutorial anyone reading will be
convinced. I hope.

We'll find out on Friday. I have the final step in the tutorial to
finish before then, but otherwise it's ready.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/