Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] Formal review of Boost.AFIO
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-01 19:21:15

On 31 Aug 2015 at 21:17, Thomas Heller wrote:

> > None of those get wait() called on them, and therefore you very
> > rarely block. As an example, if you executed 1000 promise + future +
> > continuations but blocked on just one of those, my condition
> > "future.wait() very rarely blocks in your use scenario" is fulfilled
> > by virtue that future.wait() is simply never called.
>
> Looks like a problem with my english, sorry, I am not a native speaker.
> Let's see if I got it correct now: "Your code rarely calls
> future<T>::wait to avoid blocking because that is usually costly".

No, it's probably my poor explanations. I was speaking in terms of
amortised overheads, so if you use continuations to chain a sequence
of futures and only wait on the very final one, you can amortise the
condition I specified as one effectively is very rarely calling
wait() on any of the intermediate futures.

Forgive me - I have a degree in Economics and I think in
macroeconomic aggregates sometimes. You'd probably call it imprecise
language.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting