Subject: Re: [boost] Compiling with Clang 3.7.0 from windows
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir.prus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-04 02:38:24

On 04-Sep-15 1:32 AM, Edward Diener wrote:

>> It would be nice if we could discover some easy steps to run the
>> official clang 3.7 binary on an official "mingw-build" or "mingw-w64"
>> build and configure user-config.jam correctly.
>
> It needs far more Boost build/bjam expertise for the clang-linux.jam than I am able to provide. I know what would need
> to be done but I have no idea how to do it within Boost build.

Could you start by documenting, say on Trac or GitHub Wiki, what needs to be done? As it stands, I'm not even clear
which of zillion mingw flavours to install.

> Essentially for any given clang release the Boost build toolset for clang on Windows ( remember that clang-linux.jam
> supports both clang on Linux and clang on Windows targeting gcc ) needs both the directory where the clang version
> resides and the directory where the target mingw(-64)/gcc version resides. These directories needed to be prepended to
> the Windows PATH for all Boost build actions such as compile/link/run etc.

- Why do you need clang in PATH? Is the compiler not able to find other component relative to itself?

- If clang needs mingw, it seems reasonable to document that mingw must be in PATH, and that the user must add such
   settings on Windows?

- If one has mingw with both 32 and 64 bit support, can one use it with clang, with -m32 and -m64 options both working?
   (If not, that seems like a huge bug in clang)

Thanks,
Volodya