Subject: Re: [boost] Compiling with Clang 3.7.0 from windows
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-08 11:32:30

On 9/8/2015 9:58 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On 08-Sep-15 4:27 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> On 9/8/2015 9:02 AM, Tom Kent wrote:

>>> What does your bjam user-config.jam file look like for this?
>>
>> I have separate user-config.jam files for each toolset, one of which
>> gets symbolically linked to user-config.jam
>> depending on which toolset I am using. This is necessary because Boost
>> build wants to invoke every toolset in
>> user-config.jam even when a b2 command line specifies only a single
>> toolset to use. I already complained about this on
>> the Boost build mailing list but evidently the change in Boost build
>> will not happen.
>
> I guess I don't understand why you find it that problematic? It's a very
> quick invocation of the compiler to detect
> some of its properties.

It is problematical because it is impossible with mingw(-64)/gcc and
with clang to have more than one version working at a time. I have
already explained that mingw(-64)/gcc needs its own compiler
implementation found in the Windows PATH to work properly. Similarly
clang must have its target mingw(-64)/gcc in the Windows PATH to work
properly. It is impossible to have more than one version of
mingw(-64)/gcc coming first in the Windows PATH.