Subject: Re: [boost] Compiling with Clang 3.7.0 from windows
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-08 19:56:33

On 9/09/2015 05:38, Edward Diener wrote:
> I already had a long, frustrating discussion with the mingw-64
> developers about this and they are just adamant about the necessity that
> any given implementation's 'bin' directory must be in the PATH to just
> compile and/or link.

IIRC, their argument was that since the bin directory must be in the
PATH to run the application (which is wrong, and bad practice for
non-console apps at least) then they require it to be present when
compiling so that running the app after compiling "just works".

OTOH, enforcing that does make life easier for people who just want to
compile and run unixy source packages rather than writing "real" Windows
apps.