Subject: [boost] Copyright-less licence references
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-15 01:45:05

Hi,

I suggest we should drop "Copyright Joe Coder 20xx" from all our files. My
reasons:

* git/svn history provides much better copyright attribution. Each developer
has a copyright on lines authored. As it is these copyright disclaimers are
very frequently wrong.

* I am never clear what this line really mean. Copyright Joe Coder 2010 -
does this mean Joe has copyright up to 2010, starting 2010 or only in 2010?
Should one keep updating these disclaimers every January?

* For libraries which are maintained by multiple developers and/or which
were moved from one maintainer to another maintainer - these disclaimers
either wrong or pain to maintain.

* these are just a clutter with no real value

IMO we should just keep licence reference and that's it:

// Distributed under the Boost Software License, Version 1.0.
// (See accompanying file LICENSE_1_0.txt or copy at
// http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt)

Gennadiy