Subject: Re: [boost] Copyright-less licence references
From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-15 13:32:07

On 15 September 2015 at 17:34, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Look at Google released HBase for example. And I can assure you Google has
> lots lots of lawyers. In other projects I see "Copyright xxxx <project>
> authors" disclaimer.

Yes, that could be done, but it would require every author of Boost
code to give up their individual copyright on the pieces they wrote.
Some authors may not be happy to do that if they also want to
distribute the code under other licenses.

> Even this is unnecessary, IMO.

With all due respect, your opinion on this matter is pretty worthless
given that you started the thread by saying you don't know what the
notices mean :-)

> It is fine probably to keep the information in one place somewhere in
> documentation about who worked on the library, but it not a source of
> copyright anyway.

The Boost license says the information must be reproduced in copies
and derivative works.