Subject: [boost] Graphical debugging extension for VS2015 (Container, Geometry, Polygon, Variant, ...)
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-15 21:15:26

Hi,

For some time now I've been thinking about extending the capabilities of
a debugger and to visualize data in more convenient way than the raw
numbers. It's obvious to me that in many cases variables could be
graphically visualized, in many cases this is the "natural"
representation, this would greately simplify the debugging. I haven't
found anything like it so I've decided to play with the VS2015
extensions, mostly because they're easy to write. This is what I came up
with (see the readme):

https://github.com/awulkiew/graphical-debugging

Besides adding commonly used native visualizers for types from some
Boost libraries it allows to display their graphical representation. The
extension support Boost.Geometry models and other types used internally
in this library, Boost.Polygon models (polygon_set_data is missing) and
boost::variant storing geometries. As a bonus, it's possible to watch
containers of values (some STL containers as well as boost::array and
contiguous containers from Boost.Container) as charts.

Maybe if there were enough interest it'd be worth to extend it and/or to
add to the official VS extensions gallery. I'm a Boost.Geometry
developer so in the future I plan to support all of the coordinate
systems supported by the library, maybe other internals and basically
anything that helps me with the development. But I can imagine that
variables of types from various Boost libraries could also be
visualized, e.g. Polygon's voronoi diagram and internals, Math's
quaternions as 3D Axis-Angle, std::complex as a point on a plane,
containers of complex numbers and in general arbitrary types represented
somehow as a 1D, 2D or 3D objects, CircularBuffer e.g. as a pie chart,
BGL's graphs, maybe GIL's images, Interprocess' shared memory blocks?,
etc. So feel free to share suggestions and contribute if you like.

Regards,
Adam