Subject: Re: [boost] Copyright-less licence references
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-16 18:35:31

Rene Rivera <grafikrobot <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I suggest you stop this thread as it's not going to help anyone. The only
> way to answer these questions to any satisfaction is to retain legal
> counsel. Which is what we did to get the license and copyright guidelines
> we have now. If you want to change the guidelines it might be more
> beneficial to bring up the issues with the steering committee and the
SFC.

Yesterday I contacted Daniel Berlin, who has a long track record on OS
copyright issues and who is responsible for setting Google's policy on
copyrighting Google's OS projects.

Here is a very short summary of his reply: Copyright notices in source code
are legally worthless.

Here are excerpts from his reply in a form of my questions and his answers.

Q: Do lawyers recommend putting copyright notices in source code?
A: No, they don't.
Or at least, not smart lawyers.
I agree plenty of lawyers cargo cult this, but anyone with a brain realizes
it does nothing.

Q: Doe Joe has a copyright on the file if he adds "Copyright Joe Coder
2010" on top?