Subject: Re: [boost] Compiler warnings after boost update
From: Daniela Engert (dani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-25 10:17:56

Am 25.09.2015 um 11:02 schrieb Auer, Jens:

> Just to be clear: I am not proposing to start a huge effort to be fix all warnings. I think that is not going to happen because there are more important things to spend the time on. I can live with the Isystem work-around, but it feels fishy that a library such as Boost ignores the recommendation to compile with highest warning levels.
>
> 2. define a warning level. The document you quoted says this should be /W4 for MSVC and -Wall -Wpedantic for gcc

Jens,

I wholeheartedly agree with on with respect to compiler warnings. In our
company the policy is 'no warnings at /W4'. The last time I spent
hundreds of evening hours on getting the Boost test suite warning free
at that level was 1.57 and MSVC 12 plus some more hours to achive the
same result with MSVC 14. This took me 5 months. In the end, I squashed
thousands of mostly harmless warnings, but exhibited real errors (both
in the libraries and the tests) which nobody could see in the mess
before. And I've fixed quite some code which was not safe with 64 bit.
You really need to run the tests compiled with MSVC for 64 bit to find
this class of errors (or some other compiler where sizeof(size_t) !=
sizeof(T*)). Next time I'll do this again will be for 1.60. And I hope I
have enough energy left then to create at least PRs for the most
problematic stuff.

Ciao
   Dani