Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Filesystem for Universal Windows (windows-api=store)
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-06 06:40:47

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Mikael Olenfalk <mikael.olenfalk_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made a first attempt at getting Boost.Filesystem to run on the Universal
> Windows Platform (Windows 10).
>
> I intend to do more testing of it before it is ready to be merged but I
> would very much appreciate a quick and dirty review already. If somebody
> could take a look I would be a very happy guy.
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/pull/18

Ouch! That is a large change. The line count is +231 −24.

To put that in perspective, the line count for adapting filesystem to
Android was +3 -1. Worse yet, the changes touch many different functions in
the code, so the analysis of the changes is complex and time consuming.

I really do not want to apply a change of that magnitude. It is also
suspicious that all the changes are too the operational code. Why are there
no changes to test code or documentation?

Have you talked with Steve Gates from Microsoft? He seems to be leading the
effort to adapt boost libraries to winrt so may know who to talk to about
universal apps. Surely Microsoft does not expect developers to make such
massive code changes to adapt their libraries. There is a need to abstract
away more of the differences between traditional Windows API's and
Universal app API's.

Boost.Filesystem has suffered for years from lack of maintenance effort
while I worked on the Filesystem TS. Now that the TS is done,
Boost.Filesystem is getting maintenance effort again and 1.60 will have a
lot of fixes. But there are still many high priority issues outstanding,
and they get priority.

Thanks,

--Beman