Subject: Re: [boost] git reset and force push
From: Agustín K-ballo Bergé (kaballo86_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-07 19:04:01

On 10/7/2015 7:18 PM, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
> Le 07/10/15 23:27, Agustín K-ballo Bergé a écrit :
>> On 10/7/2015 5:44 PM, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:

[snipped a lot of text]

It seems to me the general gist of what you are saying is that if
everyone follows the steps you describe, rewriting history should not be
a problem (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not challenging that,
I'm saying that this is not particularly the way people and projects I
know of work, me included at a certain point in time. Until everyone and
every tool using the git repository is reached and adjusted to your
needs I don't see how you can consider it a viable option, unless your
point of view is that disrupting the work of others than don't do as you
think should be done is acceptable.

>>> There is no such as thing like "misbehaviour". The topic of this thread
>>> is to discuss about policies of boost wrt. to operations /permitted/ by
>>> git rewriting the history.
>>
>> That's of course subjective, the operation exists and the tools allow
>> you to use it.
>
> This is the exact opposite of subjective: this is just factual.

My opinion on whether doing something constitutes misbehavior is
entirely subjective.

>> My opinion is that using it on a public branch is
>> misbehaving.
>
> There we are: thanks for underlining the following two important words
> this time: /"My opinion"/.

Regards,

--
Agustín K-ballo Bergé.-