Subject: Re: [boost] [detail] Compilation broken in develop and some questionable ideas
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-24 06:34:02

> This should have been a first class component of Boost for many, many

> years now. If we do this - this whole mess goes away.
>
> [snip]
>
>> stuff in Detail module that must be available to users, so the name Detail

>> is obfuscating here.
>
> again all addressed by the above solution.
>
> And better yet, we now have the opportunity to resplace this component
> with a purportedly more correct solution which is header only. This
> would make things that much easier. We haven't moved on this because
> because we're trying to get all the bugs fixed for this release. I
> would hope we can address this when we have the current monkey of our backs.
>
> In short we need to:
>
> a) fix this.
> b) get the release done
> c) make utf8_codecvt facet a first class boost component
> d) consider the proposed replacement
>
> Robert Ramey

There already is header only utf8 codecvt facet there. So (c) and (d) are done.

It would be released in boost 1.60 but I suggest that all develop
branches that use old and broken utf8 facet to switch to the new one
right now.

Rationale of having it in Boost.Locale

(a) It was already there (also wasn't header only)
(b) Facets are part of C++ standard localization library
(c) It is partial case of generic codecvt of any-encoding to wchar_t/char16_t/char32_t

I don't really understand why this message regarding utf8 codecvt in Boost.Locale
was ignored by Boost community.

I hope it didn't went directly to spam.

Artyom Beilis