Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a Boost.Chrono/Date library
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-25 19:28:38

Le 25/10/15 18:55, Ion Gaztañaga a écrit :
> On 25/10/2015 17:51, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:
>> My post here wants to know if there is interest in a library providing
>> what H.H. date library provides in Boost.
>
> Absolutely. And if possible we should maybe include the timezone
> library and the low-level algorithms. I think all of them are really
> interesting.
>
> Howard has a lot of great stuffin his site. Are chrono-io and
> chrono-utils part of Boost.Chrono?
Boost.Chrono has two versions of chrono-io (the first one based on H.H.
design and the second based on time_facet design. It provides the floor,
round and ceil tools also since a long time.

My prototype of the Boost.Chrono/Date was based on an earlier
version|[chrono::date] |of Howard dated from 2011-05-11.
The original H.H. version had a single class date. Mine had a lot of
date classes, as the new date-v2. E.g. I have ymd_date, days_date,
ydoy_date, relative_date, All the merits of the date library are to
Howard. My single contribution on Boost.Chrono/Date was to split the
classes based on [n3344]. We worked hard to try to identify a design
that could be safe and efficient at the same time. We didn't finished
the work. It seems that Howard has finished it now.

There were a GSOC guy that worked in splitting the algorithms from the
date data types even if the project was not accepted.

I like a lot the work Howard has done with his date-v2 library, it is
quite close to what I did, but it is clean. In addition my library is
not at the level of maturity of date-v2 library,

I hope that we will find a solution with the licenses.

Anyway, besides the software license issue, could people interested in
do review of Howard's library. I'm sure that Howard will appreciate your
comments.

Best,
Vicente

|[chrono::date]
|https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/chrono_date/libs/date/doc/date.html
[n3344] http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3344.pdf

People interested in looking at my library, the test pass yet and you
can generate the documentation using boost build.