Subject: Re: [boost] Status of the CMake-ification
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-19 14:15:48

> Dear Boost,
>
> I'd like to inquire about the status of the CMake-ification of Boost that
> had
> been started a while ago. AFAICT, the effort is completely stopped now; is
> this correct?
>
> Also, I'd like to poll the community to gauge interest in the rebirth of
> such
> an effort. __I'm not proposing myself to work on such a rebirth__, but I'm
> just curious to know what the community thinks about it. I, for one, would
> love to see it happen.
>
> Regards,
> Louis

Thanks to everybody for the comments. I, for one, think that a first step
can
be achieved by providing a CMake build system for new libraries, and slowly
porting old libraries to CMake (without removing the old Boost.Build, of
course). One thing that I also find useful is to provide a FindXXX.cmake
module for my library, so it can be used as an external dependency to any
CMake-based project quite easily.

In this direction, here's the FindHana.cmake module that I provide with
Hana[1].
Perhaps someone can find a use for it for its own library.

Also, in an attempt to get things going, I added basic CMake support to the
MPL library in this pull request[2]. Hopefully that can motivate others to
pick their favourite existing Boost library and add CMake support for it.

I know we'd likely need a global vision for how all these CMake-ified
libraries might work together, to handle dependencies and so on. What
I'm proposing purposefully does not address this. I'll leave it to others
with more experience to figure this out, if the movement gains some
traction.

Regards,
Louis

[1]: https://github.com/boostorg/hana/blob/master/cmake/FindHana.cmake