Subject: Re: [boost] a safe integer library
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-12-10 13:44:44

Hi Robert,

Robert Ramey wrote:
> I've also made a proposal for the C++ Standards committee to include a
> simplified version of this library as part of he C++ standard.
>
> You can see the proposal at
> http://www.rrsd.com/software_development/safe_numerics/proposal.pdf

I've had a quick look at this PDF. Some random thoughts:

- The "safe integer" solution that I've heard most about is Miscrosoft's,
   which I don't think is one of those that you cite in your references.

- At the top of page 3 of your PDF there's an example where you square an
   int8_t and assign the result to an int8_t, and say this can't overflow.
   Either I'm missing something (which is quite possible!) or you meant to
   assign to a wider result type.

- I suspect that in my code, the consequences of an exception that I
   hadn't considered could be just as bad as an overflow that I'd not
   considered!

Regards, Phil.