Subject: Re: [boost] a safe integer library
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-12-17 10:43:06

On 12/17/15 1:43 AM, Matt Hurd wrote:
> On 17 December 2015 at 19:12, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/15 11:16 PM, David Stone wrote:
>>
>>> I have written a similar library (http://doublewise.net/c++/bounded/),
>>> and
>>> I have a few questions about your implementation.
>>>

>> I'm very aware of this. I attended your excellent presentation of you
>> bounded integer library at C++Now 2014. I've also referenced your library
>> in the documentation for safe_numeric. I was working on the safe numeric
>> library at the time so that's why I was interested.
>

> Great initiatives!

Here's an interesting fact. I was on the program committee for C++ con
2015. David and I each submitted proposals on our respective libraries.
  Neither one excited any interest at all among the reviewers. None.
I'm quite astounded that there seems to be no concern at all among
working programmers nor academics about addressing this problem in a
practical manner. I've learned the hard way that the documentation for
such a library has to spend significant effort in making the case for
it's use. This is in contrast to the serialization library which had
no such problem. So I appreciate efforts among the community to promote
these ideas - it's going to be long slog.

Robert Ramey