Subject: Re: [boost] ATTENTION: Library requirements..
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-06 11:39:00

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 2016-01-06 19:02, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> Last Summer I brought up the subject of library organization requirements
>> to make it easier to write the development and release tools needed to
>> keep
>> the Boost machine going. See this thread <
>> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/06/223027.php> for a
>> refresher.
>>
>> This morning I committed the first part of the above.. A new set of
>> library
>> requirements that take into account existing practices. Adds some
>> additional integration requirements. And puts in limits to reduce some
>> integration burdens.
>>
>> Please read the new requirements carefully <
>> http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html#Requirements>. It
>> would
>> be wonderful if authors start making changes as needed immediately. But at
>> some point I, and possible others, will start making changes to all
>> libraries to follow the requirements. So that the release, build, and
>> testing teams can move forward with better support.
>>
>> And of course, more cleanups and such will follow. Hopefully before the
>> next release is out the door.
>>

> The page you linked says doc/html is required for all libraries. I hope
> you're not requiring to commit auto-generated docs to git?

I wasn't. I've now clarified what it means (as it applies to both
pre-generated and generated docs).

Also there's a typo:

> 1. Define a boostboost target.
>
> I believe, it should be "boostbook".

Yep. Fixed it.

Regarding the boostbook target, I'm not sure I understand what changes are
> needed, if any. E.g. in my Jamfile I have:
>
> xml log_doc
> :
> log.qbk
> :
> ;
>
> boostbook log
> :
> log_doc
> :
> ;
>
> Do I need to add:
>
> alias boostbook : log
> : : : <implicit-dependency>log ;

> or are the existing lines enough?

Yes, you need to add those lines. The intent is to eventually replace the
hard coded lines in boost-root/doc/Jamfile.v2 with auto-discovered
references to those alias targets.

> The point of confusion for me is that there seems to exist the boostbook
> rule in Boost.Build and I'm supposed to re-define it with the alias?

It's not a redefinition as a rule is not in the same namespace as a target.
But I see your point. And welcome alternative name suggestions for the
target name :-)

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything