Subject: Re: [boost] [MSM] Is there any interest in C++14 Boost.MSM-eUML like library which compiles up to 60x quicker whilst being a slightly faster too?
From: christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden]
Date: 2016-01-31 16:41:11

Hi Kris,

>I have recently released 1.0.0 version of experimental C++14
>Boost.MSM-lite.
>Your scalable C++14 header only eUML-like meta state machine library with
>no dependencies, which outperform Boost.MSM - eUML in:
>- faster compilation times - up to 60x times faster!
>- smaller executable size - up to 15x smaller
>- slightly better performance
>- smaller memory usage
>- short error messages

I find it quite nice. The idea is very interesting. Minor nitpicks, I find
weird mixing strings and <> syntax and the trick about inital states, but
it's really a matter of taste. It would also be good to avoid having to
declare events separately.
It would be interesting to see how it fares against the eUML successor,
eUML2 written using metaparse.

I do plan to rewrite parts of MSM and have a second look at eUML later this
year, so if you don't mind, I might use some of your ideas.

I'm wondering where you want to go from there. Rewriting all of MSM is quite
some work. But keeping the library lite is not really an option if you want
more than a toy library because most potential users will want more
features.

Actually, the whole idea of dividing MSM in back and front ends was exactly
to allow front-ends like yours as extensions. Would you be interested in
doing this instead? If changes in back-end are necessary, why not? It has to
be done anyway, as most of the library was written 7-8 years ago.
It might mean that there will be a pre and post C++14 versions, but I don't
think it matters.

Cheers,
Christophe