Subject: Re: [boost] [MSM] Is there any interest in C++14 Boost.MSM-eUML like library which compiles up to 60x quicker whilst being a slightly faster too?
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-02 13:19:52

Le 01/02/2016 11:57, Kris a écrit :
> Hi Christophe,
>
> Thank you very much for your feedback and time. I appreciate it a lot.
>
> Yea, I like having everything visible on the transition table and therefore
> I put initial states as well entry/exit actions there.
> I know you have a different view on that, however, I find it easier to
> follow this way.
>
> Declare events on the fly its easy to do, however, I don't think it will
> bring much value as events can be accessed outside
> the transition table as well as they, most likely, will hold some data.
> Therefore, I'm not sure about it. Might be useful to have
> both options tho.
>
> I would love to compare MSM-lite/MSM-eUML to eUML2, however I haven't seen
> it yet besides some code in the emails.
> Can you share a link to the eUML2 version, please? I will defo add
> benchmarks for it.
>
> I don't see any problem with that as MSM-lite is open source. I also offer
> my help in designing and/or coding.
Hi, IIUC you are proposing a 3rd MSM library in Boost, and you don't
pretend to make it a sub-library of Boost.MSM. If I'm right, I suggest
you to rename the namespace to msm_lite or whatever you find more
appropriated.

BTW, with the figures you gave I believe that there would be an interest
in your library.

> Well, I would like to keep the core of the library as small as possible as
> in my experience a lot of users are actually not using
> as many features. Having said that, I have no problems adding new features
> via policies/extensions. Moreover, MSM-lite
> is already used in some of the top growing mobile games, but yea, I do
> agree that some users would like to see more features.
> Anyway, are there any specific features you are talking about which are so
> essential. I know that defer/history might be useful,
> but I don't see much more features in MSM, besides explicit/fork states?
Well these are already quite a few features. I have not see local
transitions (different from internal transitions).

Please could you point me if you support choice points?
While choice points are unavoidable in graphical UML, I find it not very
useful while writing MSM in C++ as I prefer to do it using if or switch.
However having a transition table that can have only one next-state by
transition disable this possibility. I use to have a transition table
with a transition that has an action_nextstate that do the action and
returns the nextstate of the transition.

|"s2"_s + event<e2> [ guard ] / action_nextstate This avoids the storage
of local variable on the MSM data context. |

Have you considered this possibility?

Best,
Vicente