Subject: Re: [boost] expected/result/etc
From: Sam Kellett (samkellett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-04 11:05:21

On 4 February 2016 at 15:22, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> seemingly
> > >>

> > > Eh? That's exactly what happened. Annoying warnings with no other
> issues.
> >

> > sorry i don't think that came off how i meant it... what i mean is this
> is
> > kinda asking for trouble. what happens if the boost macro changes?
> >
> > wouldn't something like this be better:
> >
> > #ifdef BOOST_XXX
> > #define MY_XXX BOOST_XXX
> > #else
> > #define MY_XXX /* boost_lite thing here */
> > #endif
> >
> > redefining a macro in somebody else's 'namespace' is akin to opening up
> the
> > std namespace to redefine vector.
>
> This is exactly what my Boost-lite emulation already does.

it can't be exactly what your boost-lite emulation does else you wouldn't
get redefinition warnings. i'm not redefining anybody else's macros...

> The problem is when you include my stuff first and then include Boost
> without telling my stuff you actually want to use Boost, then Boost's
> definitions collide with my emulated ones.

this problem doesn't exist at all if you stick to defining macros with your
own prefix...

> If Boost did as you suggested there would be no warnings, and I'm
> defining the same functionally speaking thing as Boost is so there
> should be no breakage (insert many caveats omitted for brevity here).

so boost should assume that at any time somebody else may change or replace
their code? how is that practical / possible to test?