Subject: Re: [boost] [MSM] Is there any interest in C++14 Boost.MSM-eUML like library which compiles up to 60x quicker whilst being a slightly faster too?
From: Krzysztof Jusiak (krzysztof_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-05 16:30:23

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba <
vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Le 28/01/2016 17:19, Krzysztof Jusiak a écrit :
>
>> Dear Boosters,
>>
>> I have recently released 1.0.0 version of experimental C++14
>> Boost.MSM-lite.
>> Your scalable C++14 header only eUML-like meta state machine library with
>> no dependencies, which outperform Boost.MSM - eUML in:
>> - faster compilation times - up to 60x times faster!
>> - smaller executable size - up to 15x smaller
>> - slightly better performance
>> - smaller memory usage
>> - short error messages
>>

>> Hi,
>
> I have not found anything about how exceptions are managed nor about
> inheritance of state machines. Is there something related to these two
> subjects on your library?

It's a valid point. Documentation was lacking much info about exceptions
safety. I've just added it here ->
http://boost-experimental.github.io/msm-lite/overview/index.html#exception-safety
Currently, there is no much policy about exception handling though.
However, if guard/action throws state machine will be in a defined state.
Any problems you have encountered with the exceptions? Suggestions are more
than welcome as I'm not sure what would be the best solution here.

Can you elaborate what you mean by `inheritance of state machines`, please?
Is the question related to composite/sub state machines or just whether a
state machine might be inherited?

Best,
> Vicente
>
> P.S. Sorry, I don't know how MSM or statecharts covers these subjects.

MSM has a policy called `no_exception` which basically disable catching
exceptions. Otherwise they are caught within the process_event.
Don't know how statechart is handling it.