Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org
From: Andreas Schäfer (gentryx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-01 18:02:07

On 19:07 Tue 01 Mar , Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2016 at 12:13, Andreas Schäfer wrote:
>
> > IIRC last year Mozilla and the Linux Foundation were rejected. There's
> > really nothing jaw dropping or outrageous about it.
>
> It is deeply disappointing for those students and mentors affected.
> It is highly disruptive to the pipeline we are running, and is not a
> case of simply pressing Pause on GSoC for a year.

Looks like this is a case of mismatched expectations. I don't think
it's healthy to build a pipeline on GSoC since it is, as we can see
now, not a budget you can count on.

> Many if not most of our students are postgrads, and next year they
> will no longer be eligible for GSoC.

Well? Next year there will be other students. That's the point of
GSoC, right? To get fresh students interested in open source.

> > For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger orgs
> > not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
> > Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
> > impact. I think that's a good thing.
>
> Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.

Niall, I assure you I'm certainly not trolling nor trying to aggravate
anyone. I'm merely trying to offer an explanation for why it might be
sensible to spread the funds, based on my own experience with GSoC.

To give an example: I'm working with the STE||AR Group. Two years ago
we were accepted for the first time and were allocated three slots.
Doesn't seem to be much, but it made a huge difference for us, and me
personally. In fact, the code that Christopher Bross wrote for me
during GSoC 2014 became the basis for half a dozen further student
projects and even my own, current research. I am extremely grateful
for this opportunity I was presented with. The impact is different if
a software project is already well established and is attracting lots
of contributors beyond of GSoC. Nevertheless, I understand everyone
affected by Boost being excluded this year is disappointed. That's
perfectly reasonable. I can sympathise with both sides.

BTW: one of my own project ideas for this year is related to Boost[1],
and I'm sure there are other proposals like this. So in the long run
Boost might benefit from GSoC'16 nevertheless? I for one sure hope so.

Cheers
-Andreas

[1] https://github.com/STEllAR-GROUP/hpx/wiki/GSoC-2016-Project-Ideas#extensionevaluation-of-libgeodecompregion-as-an-alternative-adjacency-container-for-boost-graph-library

Andreas Schäfer
HPC and Grid Computing
Department of Computer Science 3
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
+49 9131 85-27910
PGP/GPG key via keyserver
http://www.libgeodecomp.org
(\___/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination!