Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] [Fit] formal review starts today
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-08 17:58:30

On 03/09/2016 08:43 AM, paul Fultz wrote:
> ...I guess people have different ways of learning a library. I wonder
> what is needed to be explained better in a initial overview of the
> library.

Please do not take it a a criticism of any kind. That's just an
impression I've got. I could be way off the mark.. I often am... I read
the docs... twice... well, I tried... :-) I was not able to find an
answer to a nagging question -- why I might need the library? What does
it do that the standard C++ does not? To me the Quick Start felt more
like Quick Start to Confusion. :-) Literally I felt like the deeper into
the docs I was going the more alarmed I was.

"We can make it (the functor) behave like a regular function"

In all honesty I don't think I ever had such a need. Usually IMO the
conversion is the other way around -- a reg. function into a functor. I
think it happens pretty much automatically.

"if we construct the class as a global variable"

Should I be excited about it? Globals are often a royal pain. Do I want
to construct it a a global variable? |

"BOOST_FIT_STATIC_FUNCTION"

A macro? For C++14? Really? And given you mention it about 20 times just
in the Quick Start section it seems quite pivotal for the library...
Should I be excited about it? Macros are often a royal pain... Wrapping
functors and lambdas in a macro?.. seems like I need quite a bit of
convincing I might want that.

For a library to be accepted the user has to understand the
purpose/value of it and to get excited about it. I did not get it. In
fact, I got the opposite... but I a not the brightest "bulb" in the pack...

V.