Subject: [boost] Providing means to verify integrity and authenticity for releases
From: Daniel Hofmann (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-14 06:10:28

The current download page at

> http://www.boost.org/users/download/

redirects the user to SourceForge for downloading sources and / or
binary Boost distributions. SourceForge can no longer be trusted as a
hosting platform, as you can for example see following this thread

> http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2016/02/85662.php

where a user was tricked into downloading some arbitrary binary while
downloading a Boost release.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a secure and convenient way to
download Boost releases.

Although Github's Boost "releases" can be found at

> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/releases

but those are only repository snapshots, from which you can not even
build a Boost distribution.

And whereas the Boost 1.60 rc1 announcement mail at least provides checksums

> http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2015/12/85435.php

The official 1.60 release announcement mail does not

> http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2015/12/85467.php

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no way for obtaining a Boost
release and verifying its integrity and authenticity.

The only option I'm seeing is recursively cloning all Boost repositories
from Github and building a release by myself.

Can we please change this situation?

Here are some options that come to mind ordered by amount of effort:

- Providing checksums
- Educating users on the Downloads page
- Signing releases with a trusted Release Team key
- Changing the hosting platform

Cheers,
Daniel J H