Subject: Re: [boost] [clang][preprocessor] Testing of clang emualting the VC++ preprocessor on Windows
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-31 22:44:15

> On 31/03/2016 12:56, Edward Diener wrote:
>>

> Asking programmers to support another broken C++ preprocessor at this
>>> stage of C++'s development history is a travesty. And all simply because
>>> Microsoft has refused for a quarter of a century to fix their C++
>>> preprocessor implementation, which they well know has always been
>>> non-standard.
>>>

> Yes.

It is not accurate to blaim M$ for this. Supported (by M$) operating
systems are W7SP1, W8.1 and W10 (and their server counterparts) and no
others. They all come with their own compiler, and are therefore the the
compilers [VS2010-VS2015] that need support (in PP or otherwise) and no
more. These compilers all have C++11 support, to some extent, but
progressively more of it.

...the aforementioned code must break at some point. With the sets growing,
> the sooner it breaks the better because it just gets worse as time goes on.

You are perfectly correct on this one. This should apply to boost as well,
and would probably make Edward's life a lot easier. Plenty of stuff
concerning VC7 (*Visual C++ .NET 2002, 32-bit only*) and VC8 (*Visual C++
2005*) in the code-base of boost (typeof/type_traits)...

Valuing popularity more highly that doing what is right results in trading
> future productivity for short-term expediency.

I always say, follow the money, M$ might have a hand in this.

degski