Subject: Re: [boost] [clang][preprocessor] Testing of clang emualting the VC++ preprocessor on Windows
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-05 11:01:34

 Hi Andrey,

The commit rate has nothing to do with code quality or C++ use. And I
> wasn't talking about code quality at all.

Surely not, but it can't be all "crap" as Paul M. likes to put it. KISS
seems a good approach, if you manage the code-base Google seems to manage.
C (with classes) is nothing to look down on, it just works.

There is no "Boost" that could enter into dialog. The guy from Google
> you referenced to was paid for doing his job on reporting compiler
> bugs. I would guess that work took considerable amount of time, too.

Ok, nobody "owns" the (boost) project, which highlights the weakness of the
open source/volunteer approach (see posts on un-maintained projects).
Couldn't the hard-core boosters form a working group and join forces?
Whether this guy got/gets paid for doing so (reporting compiler bugs) is
rather irrelevant, my point is that he got M$ to take on board his issues
(I don't think M$ cares about whether he gets paid or not, as long it's not
them doing the paying).

What do YOU see as a way forward in achieving the objective of being able
to use Clang/LLVM with boost on Windows? I'm not talking about compiling
boost with Clang/LLVM (that's of minor importance I would say), I'm happy
compiling with VC, but I would like to be able to use those VC-binaries
with Clang/LLVM, i.e. the headers need to be able to deal with the
platform/compiler combo.

I would like to ask you to respond in terms of solutions rather than
arguing points of dis-agreement.

degski

--
(\___/)