Subject: Re: [boost] [clang][preprocessor] Testing of clang emualting the VC++ preprocessor on Windows
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-07 16:57:55

On 2016-04-07 23:11, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Paul Mensonides wrote:
>
>> Microsoft should not get to unilaterally decide what C++ is on
>> Windows--including the ABI (which by its nature can limit what parts
>> of C++ even can be implemented).
>
> This is not a reasonable demand. The platform ABI is traditionally
> defined by the platform vendor.

I agree that there are historical reasons for the status quo on Windows,
and that MS has the upper hand in Windows evolution. But I don't think
that it is unreasonable to desire some degree of unification with the
rest of the world. Even Apple uses System V ABI in OS X, other
proprietary UNIX also support it. I don't think this ABI is controlled
by a single party.

The above not only relates to ABI and C++ but also the whole Windows
ecosystem. It is the most problematic plaform to develop for as it
drastically differs from the POSIX world and because of that requires
the largest amount of special casing.