Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-15 19:12:18

On 2016-04-16 01:46, Paul Fultz II wrote:

> On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 4:17:11 PM UTC-5, Glen Fernandes wrote:
>>
>> Paul wrote:
>>> This would be unfortunate, as it would make it a pain to use a lot of
>>> tools(cmake, travis, appveyor, etc) with boost libraries just because of
>>> an
>>> arbitrary rule 15 years ago.
>>
>> Right. It would be better if the Boost guidelines were less restrictive.
>>
>> The approach I would prefer is: Instead of restricting the contents of the
>> library repository root directory, restrict the contents of the '.boost'
>> (or
>> 'boost', or 'meta') directory. There should be sufficient specification in
>> there to inform the Boost build and release process about the library.
>>

> I agree.

I'll remind where those requirements come from:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/264776

The second link gives the rationale for having the restriction on the
directory structure. Although I have my minor disagreements with the
policy (not related to cmake), I can understand why Rene, as the
maintainer for various Boost tools, is requesting a certain degree of
conformance.

Really, there's no problem with putting CMakeLists.txt into <library>/build.