Subject: Re: [boost] [boot] using the boost name on unofficial libraries
From: Klemens Morgenstern (klemens.morgenstern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-23 09:28:08

> that's kinda my point though. it's using boost's name to say "i am of this
> level of quality" and yet there is no verification of this (such as an
> accepted boost review).

Well, I would understand that as "I am trying to be". E.g., I don't know
if this library was ever officially proposed, but I think it's quite
obvious that it's not boost approved: http://turtle.sourceforge.net/

I think it's only a problem if you have a library really pretending to
be a part of boost. But even then: the people who only want to use
boost, will probably download the complete package from the boost
homepage. And if you clone boost from github, you won't get any not
approved libraries.

When I only used boost, I saw it as one thing; I only started to look
into libraries as single things, when I got involved with writing code
for it.

So I can only say: if I find something named boost which is not
official, I know that it isn't. And I understand it as a stated goal.