Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Evolution
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-20 11:49:16

On 5/20/16 5:32 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 19 May 2016 at 15:11, Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> This is why I think Naill's approach, difficulties resulted in so much
>> frustration. It pains me because I know he's worked hard on trying to
>> make changes. But on the other hand - look at eh GSOC program. It
>> seems to me he took more of the bottom up approach and was a lot more
>> successful at it. This is really what I mean.
>
> I don't invest my charity time on things not supported by a network
> of others - otherwise you just build ivory towers no one else is
> interested in. You need collective buy in to achieve change.

Right. I'm amazed you would think that you could get collective buy in
to your proposal. Especially given your dedication to what to me should
be obvious as a non-starter.

> Boost GSoC is supported by a ton of people who made everything I've
> achieved as lead admin possible. We've also seen substantial buy in
> from the Steering Committee who have spent a LOT of money on GSoC.
> That's what made that possible, not some "bottom up approach" - on my
> work there I have been very amply supported by others.

Right.

> For making Boost great again I keep coming back to the fact that some
> *group* - not me or you or anybody individually - with the recognised
> authority to decide on global strategy needs to make a decision. That
> group is the Boost Steering Committee.

Wrong. It's not the steering committee that drives anything. It's user
demand and willingness/passion of library authors who do the the work.
Neither the steering committee nor anyone else can control that. They
can only react to it when circumstances change to the point that they
cannot be ignored. This is not just boost, it's universal.

> (whom, just to be clear, cannot act on anything without someone
> submitting a formal proposal. So a formal proposal needs to be sent
> to boost-steering, and they'll vote on it next meeting)

LOL - even that's hard to make happen.

Robert Ramey