Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-21 19:47:55

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Sunday, 22 May 2016 02:03:17 MSK Niall Douglas wrote:
> >
> > I began putting together an initial checklist of potential
> > automatable C++ style and design checkers via a clang AST parser at
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BestPracticeHandbook. The idea
> > was that people could submit their library, and get it scored and
> > ranked on a dashboard. All automated. Even better, non-Boost library
> > authors could use the same system as tuneups for their own code - a
> > solution truly serving the C++ community at large, not just yet more
> > Boost parochialism.
> >
> > It was not warmly received by the community. I got publicly accused
> > of all sorts of malevolent behaviours, so I abandoned the effort and
> > moved onto more productive uses of my time.
>
> Wow. Boost community is so harsh, unfair and narrow. I must say I'm amazed
> with your persistence in communicating with it - it sounds like it's a
> pure waste
> of your time.

If I might add, nobody would object to automatically rating Boost libraries
according to any metric whatsoever and publishing the results for anyone so
inclined to read and consider. As well, the Boost license generously
authorizes anyone to fork libraries for any reason, including to release
versions that get perfect score according to any metric whatsoever.

Emil