Subject: Re: [boost] A retrospect on 'CMakeLists.txt' policy review
From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-02 21:49:35

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> David Sankel <camior <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I wanted to thank everyone who participated in the CMakeLists.txt and
> > related threads. I'm sorry I wasn't able to participate all the way
> > through, but I found the majority of the posts to be civil and
> constructive
> > (some of my own heated posts being notable exceptions).
>
> Thanks to you for starting the discussion on the list and to all of those
> who participated. For those that don't know, I was in the bunch of people
> that started floating this at C++Now, but unfortunately I couldn't follow
> the mailing list closely when the discussion started because I was moving
> to a different country. I did read most discussions after the fact, though.
>

> > Here is my take away. No one is arguing that the current guidelines
> > disallow authors from placing a CMakeLists.txt in the root of their
> > library's directory. Some pointed out drawbacks of placing them there and
> > recommended 'build/' or 'CMake/' instead. Others saw value in having
> > CMakeLists.txt in the root directory, but felt these should be short
> > wrappers where the real work is done in the 'build/' directory.
> >
> > Louis and Paul, I know you felt it important for your gitHub distribution
> > to have 'CMakeLists.txt' in the root directory as is typical for CMake
> > projects. Does this result satisfy your concerns?
>
> IIUC, you suggest that we have both a CMakeLists.txt at the root and one in
> build/, with the one in build/ possibly doing the "real" stuff and the one
> at
> the root just forwarding to build/. Is this correct? If not, please
> completely
> ignore the rest of my reply below.

Ignoring the rest of your reply as directed :). I'm not making any
suggestions here. I'm just relating the feedback provided by some
individuals. It doesn't constitute anything like an official
recommendation. The main result is that there is nothing preventing you
from providing a CMakeLists.txt in the root directory of your distribution.
The advice provided by others was made in good will for your benefit, but
it's ultimately up to you to make the decisions for Hana. We're entrusting
you to make the best call given all the information.

-- David