Subject: Re: [boost] [config] msvc-14 config changes heads up
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-07-05 20:33:49

On 05.07.2016 20:22, Stephan T. Lavavej wrote:
> "In resolving dependent names, names from the following sources are
> considered:
> (1.1) - Declarations that are visible at the point of definition of the template.
> (1.2) - Declarations from namespaces associated with the types of the function arguments both from the instantiation context (14.6.4.1) and from the definition context."
>
> Here, 1.1 means that f(int) is visible when g() is defined, while f(double) has not yet been seen.
>
> 1.2 has the ability to see things that are declared after g()'s definition, BUT it is restricted to "associated namespaces" (like what's considered for ADL). Here, 3.14 is a double and has no associated namespaces, so nothing extra is considered.

It isn't clear to me why the "global namespace" together with built-in
(and other globally defined) types isn't considered the same way as any
named namespace with the types defined inside it. At least, such a
reading of the standard would resolve the above and remove the special
treatment the global namespace gets in your interpretation.

> (It took me a long time to understand these rules, and I still don't have a very good intuition for them.)
>
> STL

Thanks,
        Stefan