Subject: Re: [boost] [release] Continuous release archives.
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-08-09 08:17:00

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 3:16 AM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 7 Aug 2016 at 20:42, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
> > Please report any problems sooner rather than later. So that we can try
> and
> > address them before it's took late.
>
> Firstly thank you for making this happen. Thanks for this kind of
> work is insufficiently given at Boost.
>
> > [1] <https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/
> snapshots/master/>
> > [2] <https://bintray.com/boostorg/master/snapshot#files>
>
> I appreciate that both URLs have "snapshot" in their name, but I am
> uncomfortable with the way the filename is named as if it is a
> release. I think this will lead to people getting confused that a
> snapshot archive which may be very buggy is a release archive. That
> will undoubtedly lead to bug reports here for a "release" which never
> happened.
>
> Can you build into the archive name something like this pattern:
> boost_1_62_0_snapshot_201608090906.zip?

This seems like a great idea to me. I agree that the current pattern may
lead to confusion.

> I would also advocate spamming "snapshot" into various files in the
> distro e.g. docs, release notes etc.

I disagree that the docs contained should be changed. Aside from the
archive name, the contents should match bit-for-bit with what will
eventually be released.

Tom