Subject: Re: [boost] first steps to submitting - boost :: observers
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-19 19:09:18

On 19/09/2016 14:22, Robert McInnis wrote:
> One of the examples I provided was a stock feed/portfolio management
> example.
>
> The 'market' consisted of just 16 stock symbols and their associated market
> price when I was
> making the example.
>
> 1000 portfolios were generated with 5-16 buy orders initially pushed (assume
> 10 positions on average).
> Any buy orders would also be tracked and would also force an update of the
> associated portfolio.
>
> I then generated 2000 random StockTicks and pushed them thru the market
> individually, simulating a
> ticker plant. This would trigger the necessary updates only to those
> portfolios containing the stock, as
> well as updating the overall portfolio value.
>
> This example took about 20 minutes to code, with a few more minutes to tweak
> the output to make it
> more appealing.
>
> How would you do that with the Signals2 object?

The same way you'd do it with any other event-based (or pub/sub) system.

Presumably a Stock would define a MarketPriceChanged signal and the
Portfolios would subscribe to that signal for each of their contained
stocks. Buy orders and stock ticks would trigger a change in the market
price, which would raise the signal for the affected stocks.