Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Request for Discussion
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-25 07:01:47

On 09/23/2016 06:25 PM, Vinnie Falco wrote:

> I would like to hear from as many of these individuals as possible,
> about their experience looking at Beast and taking it for a test
> drive, before starting the formal review process.

Apart from usual difficulties, your library is facing an additional
complication that as not been brought up yet.

Boost is more than a set of high-quality libraries and a review process.
We are also trying to nurture promising student developers, mainly
through GSoC.

Your library happens to coincide with one of those projects:
Boost.Http. This project started as a GSoC project about two-three
years ago, and this year it was part of the Boost sponsored summer of
code (BSoC), which resulted in a HTTP parser.

If we had simply wanted a HTTP library, I could easily have written
that myself (I am one of the original curl developers), but I chose
to support the nuture program and serve as mentor instead.

Your library unintentionally puts us in a precarious situation with
regards to this nuture program. That is one of the reasons why I
initially suggested that you and Vinicius collaborated instead of
seeing your respective libraries as competitors.