Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Modularization
From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-28 20:06:59

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Philip Woods <
elzairthesorcerermailinglist_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Would the community be interested in modular CMake support for more
> modules? Any comments, questions, critiques or suggestions are welcome.

First and foremost, thank you for your interest and for working on this! It
has been said many times before, but it bears repeating: good CMake support
would lower Boost adoption barriers for a large number of C++ developers.

CMake's FindBoost.cmake interface is awkward to use sometimes, but it is
how most CMake applications use Boost these days. If we could provide a
drop-in replacement that builds from a source repository on an as-needed
basis, it would get a ton of immediate use. Something worth considering. It
may also be useful to check out this talk
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eH4hMKl7XE> where I discuss designing
CMake builds in a way that facilitates inter-operation between different
library builds.

Good luck,

David Sankel