Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Request for Discussion
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-01 20:58:57

> On Oct 1, 2016, at 7:39 PM, Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Paul Fultz II <pfultz2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> The library looks nice
>
> Thanks!
>
>> I tried to run the tests and install it using cmake and it both failed.
>
> If you could please be so kind as to create an issue on the Beast
> GitHub repository page with the details, I will try to address it
> right away:
> https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/issues

Ok, will do.

>> Also, looking at the cmake, it looks like you use coroutines.
>
> Beast is header-only, the Jamfile and CMakeLists.txt are only for
> building the unit tests and the examples.

Well, cmake should install the library, even its header-only. It should also provide cmake packaging and/or pkg-config to help with linking against the library and its dependencies. I do this in my libraries and could send you a pull request.

But I do wonder if it should be header-only. Is it that heavily templated that `.cpp` files don’t make sense?

> As far as linking goes, you
> should only need Boost.System (for error_code).

Oh, so it doesn’t use Boost.Asio either?

> Some of the unit tests
> use coroutines, to make sure that they work and also as a tool to
> assist reaching a high level of code coverage.
>
> You shouldn't need either the Jamfile or the CMakeLists.txt found in
> the repository in order to use Beast.
>
>> I would prefer not to have an HTTP library that depends on Boost.Context
>> due to portability issues(the author refuses to support mingw).
>
> I have no plans to add Boost.Context as a dependency, Beast uses the
> Universal Asynchronous Model which abstracts the completion token (see
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3747.pdf).

Ok awesome.