Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Request for Discussion
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-02 20:38:29

On 10/2/2016 7:55 PM, Paul Fultz II wrote:

>>> Ok, will do.

>>> Well, cmake should install the library, even its header-only.
>>
>> Why should CMake "install" a header-only library ?
>
> There are a lot of reasons for this:
>
> 1) Cmake can install configured headers in the library(such as a version or config header).
>
> 2) Cmake can install packaging information to make it easier to use and link the library. Just because it is header-only doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to link against other libraries.

Whatever CMake can or cannot do, Boost should not require its use for
anything right now since their is no official support for it.

>> Boost does not use CMake and header-only libraries do not need to be "installed”.
>
> Boost.Hana does use cmake and is header-only that is installed with cmake.

Boost.Hana is part of Boost now and is "installed" when you install
Boost. In Github Boost Hana is installed when I get the Hana submodule.
If Boost Hana needs CMake in order to be installed or in order to work
that is news to me, and I am sure it would also be news to other Boost
developers.

I have no official stake in whatever debate may exist regarding Boost
Build and CMake but I think that, even if you favor CMake, you should
not be saying that CMake is necessary for Boost when it is not.