Subject: Re: [boost] [process] Formal Review starts today, 27 October
From: Lee Clagett (forum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-20 14:21:12

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 14:22:24 +0100
Klemens Morgenstern <klemens.morgenstern_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Am 12.11.2016 um 13:35 schrieb Lee Clagett:
> > On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 10:05:00 +0100
> > Klemens Morgenstern <klemens.morgenstern_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> > Yes, whether a process is being launched in a shell must be set
> > before starting the process, but this is irrelevant. Is `shell` a
> > property of the `child` or a property of the path / arguments pair?
> > In other words, does the internal logic of the `child` constructor
> > actually need to know whether its launching a shell or just some
> > other executable? The implementation would suggest that `child`
> > does not need to know.
> Well the child doesn't know of any of the properties you pass it...
> >
> [...]
> > You can launch the process on its own or through the shell with that
> > syntax. Its just that `shell` is modifying the path + args
> > properties given to the `child`.
> I know, that's why there's shell, like this:
>
> bp::system(cmd="foo", bp::shell);
> bp::system(exe="../foo", "--bar", bp::shell);

This same usage/syntax in `process::system` is irrelevant.

> So obivously the question isn't why is this useful, but why is your
> syntax better?

I think the syntax I proposed is a better model of what is actually
happening. I do not think there are any aesthetical gains to my
proposal for `process::shell`, I think its a "push" in that regard.

> [...]
> [...]
> > The benefit is it removes the special internal logic for a few
> > specific properties and makes what the code is _actually_ doing
> > more clear. I've also been pushing for a more formal specification
> > of `properties` because some of the IO variants are doing too much
> > in `child`. The constructor for `std::thread` does not throw once
> > the thread is created, but what about some of the IO properties for
> > `process::child`? Several of the `on_exec`/`on_success` hooks are
> > doing various calls that can throw - does `child` block internally
> > in the constructor until the other process completes? Does it
> > detach? Terminate? And why is so much being done inside of the
> > `child` constructor when the `child` should only need to know the
> > pipe handles for communication. I'm mainly thinking of the code for
> > piping to future or mutable buffer.
> The child-class does not know of anything there, the child(...) ctor
> actually just forwards to values to a launch function. It's just a
> form of RAII, since I think that makes sense. It's equivalent to
> boost::thread([](int), 42);

I do not think this is equivalent to `std::thread`. The constructor for
`std::thread` takes the bare minimum to start a new processing thread,
while the constructor for `process::child` accepts parameters that are
unnecessary - `std::future` for instance. I think its worth determining
the minimum set of values needed before process launching, and
restricting the constructor to accept those values. If `stdout` of a
process needs to go to `std::future<std::string>`, this does not need
to be indicated before process launching, only a designated pipe needs
to be specified, etc.

> If there's an error before the launch it will not launch, if
> afterwards it will terminate the child immediatly.

Lee