Subject: Re: [boost] Asynchronous library now in Boost Library Incubator
From: Biddiscombe, John A. (biddisco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-30 02:10:45

Christophe

I don't think the libraries have the same goals (or at least it seems to me so). Asynchronous is first of all an architecture tool focusing on organizing a whole application into thread worlds.
<

If I understand this correctly, then I'd say that that is what HPX does too. (I usually explain to others that OpenMP creates 'parallel regions', where code operates in tasks, whereas the whole of an HPX application is one enormous parallel region). I presume this is what you mean by 'thread worlds'

The libraries also do not have the same design / tradeoffs. Asynchronous can make use of futures but encourages callbacks and tries to make these as safe as possible. The goal is to be as asynchronous (meaning non-blocking) as possible.
<

A future .then() or continuation is really just a type of callback too (broadly speaking).

Future-based designs do not mix well with state machines' run-to-completion.
<

Could you elaborate a little on that comment please? I have a had a couple of instances where I'm manipulating 'state' and transitioning from one to another - I would welcome some ideas on how to make this a bit cleaner.

The reason for the non-blocking focus is that I'm using the library at work in an industrial 24/7 application. When working on the production line, blocking is a disaster. If an algorithm goes astray, or simply takes longer than usually, blocking the production line results in huge costs. Crashes due to races also. Asynchronous provides ways to avoid both.
<

I would say that non-blocking behaviour is one of the central goals of HPX. Continuations are only triggered when futures become ready and therefore blocking is avoided - so I don't think there's any disagreement there! Races are a problem, but a functional style of programming goes a long way to avoiding them.

Thanks for the reply - I'll be going through your repo looking for good ideas (and borrowing them).

Cheers

JB