Subject: Re: [boost] Boost 1.63.0 Release Candidate 1
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-12 16:26:40

On 12/12/16 23:12, Christian Ullrich wrote:

> In the "toolset=msvc-14.0 link=shared runtime-link=shared" build,
> several static libraries are built for no discernible reason. As far as
> I can tell by watching file system operations (using Sysinternals
> procmon), these libraries are not accessed again after creation.
>
> There is nothing documented about this behavior, and I suspect a bug in
> the build process.
>
> The unexpected files are:
>
> libboost_chrono-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
> libboost_system-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
> libboost_timer-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
> libboost_unit_test_framework-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
>
> These two are probably expected, because there are no DLLs built for
> them at all:
>
> libboost_test_exec_monitor-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
> libboost_exception-vc140-mt-1_63.lib
>
> Sorry for harping on this, but I still don't understand what's happening
> here, and would really like to.

The same happens on Linux with gcc as well. I think there's a dependency
on the static build of Boost.Test somewhere and Boost.Timer,
Boost.Chrono and Boost.System are built as its dependencies. I couldn't
find what library is causing the dependency on Boost.Test though.

Boost.Exception only builds as a static library, as does
libboost_test_exec_monitor.