Subject: Re: [boost] Generating Boost documentation with pandoc
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-08 11:07:20

On 07.01.2017 23:38, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:

>> Yes, the pipeline is BoostBook -> DocBook -> [HTML, PDF, etc.], so
>> generating EPub should be a matter of tuning the last step in that
>> workflow.
>>
> I have no idea how to do that. I don't even remember how I wrote the Bjam
> config.
>
> Learning advanced C++ programming or low-level POSIX tricks is less
> complicated because (1) it's exciting, (2) there is a lot of documentation
> as it's not just a Boost specific project and (3) it's worth as you'll use
> outside of Boost projects too.

I hear you.

> Sorry about my not very constructive comment. I thought it'd contribute to
> understand how outsiders of Boost tooling see Boost tooling.

Thanks, yes, getting user feedback is valuable. At least some of the
developers are aware what an impedance these in-house tools really have
become.

> Gonna use asciidoc to write my next documentation so I can still have
> DocBook (not sure why it's so important) and have free ePUB support.
> asciidoc or any other simple markup language that does the job.

(I'm actually pondering to move the Boost.Python docs from QuickBook to
good old ReST, so I could manage all its documentation with the sphinx
tool (used by most projects in the Python community). It may lack some
features, but the fact that it is well-known by many people outweighs
that by far.
Boost still has a long way to go to get out of the NotInventedHere mood...

Best,
        Stefan