Subject: Re: [boost] [testing] Need optimization help!!!
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-31 23:37:44

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 01/31/2017 08:22 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> > If someone is interested in an optimization challenge here's your
> > opportunity. Currently the program(s) that generate the test results
> take a
> > long time to run. In both the live setup of a 4 core 16 GB ram VM it
> takes
> > about 40 minutes to generate the reports for master and develop branches.
> > On my 4 core 16 GB ram real hardware SSD HD machine it also takes about
> 40
> > minutes.
> >
> > If some brave soul could look into why it's so terribly slow the Boost
> > community would be very grateful. As it would make it possible to move
> the
> > processing to a CI service and improve results reliability and frequency.
> >

> The report is completely generated from scratch
> on every run, even though a significant fraction
> of it doesn't change. I suspect that the best
> way to optimize it would be to make the report
> generation more incremental. (The old XSL scripts
> did in fact work this way. When I wrote boost_report,
> I assumed that it didn't matter, since it took
> less than 2 minutes at the time.)

Ah, good to know. I wasn't aware of that change. Perhaps the growth of
libraries and testers has skyrocketed the build times. Or something else,
don't know. Good place for someone to start though.. Making it incremental
again.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything