Subject: Re: [boost] [review queue] What to do about the library review queue?
From: Michael Caisse (mcaisse-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-15 01:21:04

On 3/14/17 15:35, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 8:01 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
>> Dear Boost,
>>
>> I see that new candidate Boost libraries entering the review queue have
>> exploded in recent years, with no less than *twenty-three* proposed
>> libraries awaiting a review.

<snip prose about many things>

> I would like to concur that the number of libraries awaiting review,
> because no review manager has stepped forward for those libaries, is a
> real problem with Boost. I also do not believe that people should have
> to wait years for a review.

Don't forget that a library author needs to determine interest.
Sometimes (often?) there is no Review Manager listed because there isn't
enough interest by the community or hasn't been enough promotion by the
author.

A library sitting in the queue for long periods of time without a Review
Manager might be an indicator that the author hasn't done enough
solicitation on the ML or that other people don't find the solution
interesting.

I see 15 submissions in the "queue" without a manager:
<http://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html> . There are 7
with managers. One-third have managers ... it could be better. My
experience is that reviews that have managers but are lacking dates are
still getting all the t's crossed and i's dotted. There isn't a
fundamental problem, instead it is how the system is supposed to work.
The review manager needs to make sure it is ready to be reviewed.

We have had back-to-back reviews for the past couple weeks. We have
reviews scheduled for the next few weeks. I know that we are having
trouble getting a date for Boost.SIMD that hasn't overlapped with
another request. I think it will be a busy year of reviews if it continues.

I have more (hopefully constructive) thoughts ... but I'll continue
those in another thread.

michael

--
Michael Caisse