Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.64.0 Delayed because of Microsoft (version numbers)
From: Bo Persson (bop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-21 16:32:44

On 2017-03-21 15:17, degski via Boost wrote:
> On 20 March 2017 at 15:39, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Stephan, I always appreciate all the updates and clarifications you
>> give.
>>

> It seems though that, the "updates and clarifications" are a bit short on
> facts. Of course Microsoft is going to issue an binary incompatible
> tool-chain in the future, this is just stating the obvious.

I think the idea is that there will be additional toolchains released,
perhaps quaterly, while the product is still called Visual Studio 2017.
Some of these might be binary compatible, and some are very likely not.

And STL would not be allowed to tell us when, even if he knew.

> Some clear advice on how to tackle the current issue, or a decision on
> future versioning (which would probably make the solution to the current
> problem become obvious) would be more helpfull in my opinion.

At Microsoft this is a marketing decision, and not something you can ask
the engineers to predict. They probably don't know much more than we do,
until the big launch party.

For example, who would have guessed that the Windows product numbers
would be 7, 8, 8.1, and 10?

With Visual Studio we seem to be at "8.1" now, so the marketing team can
tell us "new and improved", but still just the same. Only better, but
not different.

That's what we get for having large corporations.

     Bo Persson